Chalk painted rocking chair
You see many projects done with chalk paint. Some I really like, others not so much. Maybe this is because I like wood, I like the feel and texture of wood, the look and the smell of wood. To paint wood is often in my opinion ruining the piece.
How ever, when I was given this old rocking chair I decided to give it a try. The leather seat was all torn and beyond repair, how to fix this was the first hurdle I had to over come.
First I removed the leather seat, I saved the tags that were used to fasten the seat, they looked really nice with a bit of a pattern and all brass. Figured I should be ab;e to reuse them sometime.
The seat I used to give me a rough pattern for the insert. Finally I remembered I had some very wide binding for curtains, and decided that was just what I needed.
With this I weaved a mat that would become my seat insert.
You can see how I pinned it in place, I did not want any gabs so the pieces are fitted nice and snug. Then everything was sewn into place, I double sewed all the rows to make it extra strong.
I stapled the matting into place, starting at one end, then stretching it to staple the opposite site. I worked my way around until I was satisfied with the result. This meant that the first time, I had not measured well enough and was short on one end so out it all came and I started at the beginning. I only had short 1/4 inch staples and they did not always go all the way into the hard oak. I used a drill bit(this was all I could find), up site down to hammer the staples in further. Most of them went all the way, with just a few that bend a bit. Still not completely satisfied, I worried that someone would sit on it “hard” and end up through the seat, so I used a few small nails to secure the matting even more. Now it looked nice and taught, and I was satisfied you would not go through the seat that easy.
Next was the painting. On Pinterest I found lots of ideas to make your own chalk paint. I didn’t want to go to town to buy stuff, so I made my own according to this recipe:
1 part Latex paint, 1 part plaster of Paris, acrylic paint and water.
However I did not have any plaster of Paris, but what I did have was drywall mud… and I figured this should be close enough to give it a try, so instead of the plaster of Paris I used 1 part drywall mud.
First the drywall mud was mixed with acrylic paint, when it was well blended, the latex paint was added and water until I had a nice consistency.
The color was a lot lighter with the latex paint added, and to achieve a little stronger color a drop of acrylic paint was added. When painting the chair, I used 3 coats in total. First applying wax to the spots I wanted the wood to show through after. It dried very fast, but felt very rough, and I was a little anxious of how it all would turn out.
I was pleasantly surprised how easy it all sanded down and how increasingly smooth it felt. The seat was also painted, just with one coat and sanded smooth.
And here is the end result. I am very happy with how this rocking chair turned out! I plan to make a proper seat sometime, but that will be another project.