Updating my old high chair.
With grand babies came the need for a high chair in the house again. I still have the old high chair I used with my 4 children, but understandably it now only serves a decorating purpose. The high chair we found needed a new seat cover.
With my daughter-in-law we attended a garage sale in the spring. If you are not from Manitoba, a garage sale might sound rather confusing.
In short, people try to sell of stuff they don’t want anymore. In other places you might send these items to a consignment store or Good will. Here we have garage(or yard) sales.
What I found and clean up.
This is what I found for a very good price:
The chair itself was still in good condition, but on close inspection, the seat cover was unacceptable for me.
So cleanup began with my trusted Shaklee cleaner.
Making the pattern
Because I did not want to use the exciting cover, I did not feel bad at all to cut it up. I cut along the sew lines and thus ended up with my pattern for a new cover.
It is a bit hard to see, but I drew the cover on paper so I could use it to cut my fabric.
The holes for the straps were also transferred from the original seat cover onto the new pattern.
Batting cut and placed on the fabric.
Putting it all together.
I attached the back piece to the main seat cover. This piece goes over the back of the high chair and helps keep it in place.
You can see in the picture that it is doubled up for a nice finish.
Next came the batting, added for comfort.
Kids wiggle a lot, and I wanted the batting to stay in place, therefor the layers were sewn together.
Here the seem is sewn together to create the seat.
The finishing touches
Here I marked where the button holes for the straps had to go. The seat had preformed slots where the straps go, so I measured from the seat, not the pattern, to make sure they would be in the right place.
The opening for the strap was made in the button hole.
Here is the opening for the “Bump” so baby does not slide out off the high chair, you can also see the side seems sewn together.
There were not enough buckles with the high hair, so I had to fabricate a strap myself.
And we are done!
I love the Whinny the Pooh fabric, and the little ones like it just as much!
And when I got a second high chair given to me, I made a cover for it as well. There was enough fabric left over!
The cover was different, so I had to go from scratch and followed the same procedure as with the first one.
Don’t be shy, leave a reply!