I came across this neat looking vintage knitting caddy when cleaning out the attic a few years ago.
True to be told I really am not sure how it is called, but that is what I named it for now, as it made the most sense. I know it was used to hold knitting, needlepoint and such.
The wooden frame was still intact but the fabric was completely disintegrated, mice probably help in the process.
I forgot about it for a while and had it stored on the veranda, mostly to air it out. And eventually it got moved into the house. I wanted to fix it, but did not have any idea how to go about it.
Choosing the fabric
During one of my quilting sprees I came across some fabric I thought would look really nice for this knitting caddy.
For the pattern, I cut of the old fabric from the frame, to use as a guide line for the new caddy.
There was lots to work with, but I didn’t want to waste any, so decided to use it all. First I sewed the two pieces together, right sides facing, just leaving a small opening so the material could be turned. Then I sewed the opening shut.
How to proceed?
After this, I was not sure how to proceed. I wanted to have the same kind of ruffle on the top, but at first was stumped on how to thread the bars through the sleeve. Eventually I had a closer look at the frame and noticed it was held together with tiny nails.
What if I tried to pull out the nails? They gave away a lot easier then I thought they would, and then I was able to gently pry the frame open. Problem solved!! I just had to sew two sleeves leaving about an inch at the top to make the ruffle, thread the bars through the fabric and put the frame back together! So easy!
Finishing the caddy
With renewed energy I added elastic to the sides and finished the caddy. How ever when I tried to stand it up, opened, it did not want to stay, the elastic was not strong enough to hold it.
I had noticed that the old fabric had thick thread on the sides that could be adjusted and leave the caddy more open or more closed. Taking this idea, I went through my supply of cast-of goodies and found a piece of old cord that would work. I looped it around the frame and used some cord ends from one of the kids hoodies to keep it all together, now the caddy would stand open, or more closed as wanted by adjusting the cord!